Alex and Arthur: TIFF TUESDAY 2014 #1

Tuesday 29 July 2014

TIFF TUESDAY 2014 #1

I am beyond excited for today's post.  If you are a regular follower of my blog, you know how much I love the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF).  This year the festival is scheduled for September 4-14.  My regular followers will also know that in preparation for the festival, every Tuesday I post two films that I'd like to see.

Last Tuesday the first block of films were announced.  Today, additional films under the Tiff Docs, Masters, Midnight Madness, and Vanguard were added.  Everything I've looked at so far looks really good.  It made selecting two films to highlight on TIFF Tuesday extremely difficult, but I'm a trooper.

So without further ado, I bring you the first TIFF Tuesday of 2014.


1. Foxcatcher



It's a film about a true story on the Schultz brothers, Dave and Mark.  The two brothers were both former Olympic wrestling champions.  They befriend a neurotic millionaire, who *spoiler alert* kills the older brother.

Fact, I like Mark Ruffalo.  That's reason enough for me to see a film but I'm curious to see Channing Tatum in this role, as it's different to the types of films he normally does.  It'll help me judge how badly he is going to ruin Gambit in the new X-Men film.  (Can you imagine his take on a Cajun accent? *cringe*) 


2. Whiplash
This film is about a drummer at a prestigious music academy who clashes with a hard-driving instructor.  What so special about that?  Well, for starters the instructor is played by J.K. Simmons who I know will be brilliant in the role.  

There's also a lot of buzz surrounding this movie.  A short film based on this script was presented at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival and it won the short film jury award for best US fiction.  This is the full length.

I'll have to wait until additional films are announced before I make my final decision on this one.  While I am excited to see it, it's being released in October so I may wait and see it in a regular theatre.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...