Alex and Arthur: Whiplash!

Wednesday 8 October 2014

Whiplash!

Well, it's been a month since TIFF and I've finally recovered.  I wasn't able to take the week off from work which meant I had to try to cram movies in between working/meetings.  Even without the week off, I was able to see a total of 22 films (I was basically the walking dead by the end of the festival)

People always ask me to provide feedback on movies that I've seen at the festival, specifically which ones do I think are Oscar-worthy.  I do, but I also try to explain that my likes and dislikes at the festival are even more subjective than usual.  

First, I don't see all the movies at the festival.  There were over 300 films at the 2014 festival and I saw 22.  The movies that I select are either films that I don't think I'll get to see outside of the festival, films made by actors/directors that I like, or films that catch my fancy in the program book.  I usually try to see at least one film from each program and try to catch a special presentation.  The chances that I see all potential Oscar contenders are slim.

Second, I'm seeing a lot of movies in a compressed period of time.  At least one movie a day but there are times when I'm watching four a day...which is A LOT and exhausting.  My movie enjoyment can be impacted by how tired I am, if I've been able to eat at some point, if I've been waiting in line in horrible weather, etc.  Also, it's impossible not to compare films.  I saw the movie I liked the most and the one I hated on the exact same day.  Perhaps if I didn't see my favourite movie earlier on, I would have appreciated the second film more.

Having said that, over the next couple of weeks I'd still like to share some feedback on the films I saw and highlight my favourites.

Whiplash

That favourite I mentioned above?  Well this is it.
 
Whiplash is about a drummer named Andrew Neyman (Miles Teller) who enrols in a prestigious music-school and the volatile relationship he has with his demanding music instructor, Terence Fletcher (J.K. Simmons).

This film is in no means perfect.  There were a few points in the story that had me cringing but whatever faults this film has are overshadowed by what it does right.  It's a fast-paced exciting drama that showcasing amazing performances by Teller and Simmons.  And don't even get me starting on the drumming.  During the Q&A session, it was revealed that Teller did most of his own drumming (I'm impressed).

 After the film, J.K. Simmons, Miles Teller, and the director Damien Chazelle spent some time chatting and taking selfies with fans (I'm too self-conscious to ask for a selfie/photo). 





J.K. Simmons is such a lovely man.



This is a charming man right here.  I say 'man' because I did google Miles Teller immediately after leaving the theatre to ensure my new found celebrity crush wasn't inappropriate/creepy.  (He's 27 so we're good)  

He's really nice, very good looking, and a pretty talent actor/drummer.  I may have swooned a little bit during our chat...



Look who else stopped by congratulate the cast and crew.  (He also gave me a high five...not sure if that's another reason for his visit but I'm going to assume it is)

1 comment:

  1. Nice film it is, I see several times.Whiplash is a 2014 American independent drama movie written and directed through Damien Chazelle. Starring Miles Teller and J. Okay. Simmons, the film depicts the connection between an bold jazz student (Teller) and an abusive instructor (Simmons). Paul Reiser co-stars because the student's father
    best resume writing service

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...