Alex and Arthur: TIFF TUESDAY - 2015 Edition

Tuesday 18 August 2015

TIFF TUESDAY - 2015 Edition

First, guess who is still alive? Me!

Now that we've established that I'm still living, let's get into this blog post about my favourite time of the year....TIFF!  According to the countdown clock on the website there are 22 days until the festival begins.  So excited.

For those of you who have been following my blog (for more than a year), you may remember that I LOVE TIFF and that in preparation for the festival, every Tuesday I post two films that I'm hoping to see.  These are in no particular order:

The Lobster 


In his first English speaking film, Greek director Yorgos Lanthimos, tells us a tale  of a near dystopian future where single individuals are sent to "The Hotel" where they must find a mate within forty-five days.  If the individual is unable to find a mate within the designated time frame, he or she transforms into a beast and is sent off to live in "The Woods".

While it sounds absolutely bizarre, I'm a sucker for any sort of sci-fi movie especially when it's set in the future.  Also it stars Colin Farrell (love!), Rachel Weisz and John C. Reilly (who I also love, particularly when he's trying to be serious.  Who are you kidding Dr. Steve Brule?).  

The film won a Jury Prize at Cannes and was nominated for a Palme d'Or so I have high expectations for this one.

Legend


This movie is based on the real life English gangsters Ronald and Reginald (Reggie) Kray, who terrorized London during the 1950s and 60s.

The Kray brothers are played by Tom Hardy. I've taken a look at the trailer for this movie and it looks like Tom Hardy has enough material to properly showcase his range as the twins seem to have very different personalities.  Reggie is portrayed as the level-headed, brains of the operation whereas Ronnie is portrayed as the aggressive, loose canon/muscle. I'm always intrigued when an actor takes on dual roles in a movie, particularly when they are playing the lead(s) because it can go one of two ways, success or failure. (I'm also intrigued because Tom Hardy is not hard on the eyes)  

The film also stars Emily Browning, David Thewlis, and Christopher Eccleston.

Next week I will be showcasing two more films that I'd like to see at this year's festival.  I had a bit of a late start this year in terms of blog posting so as the festival gets closer these posts may turn into "Three Tiff Tuesday".

Bye for now,

Alex & Arthur

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...