Alex and Arthur: St. Vincent

Monday 20 October 2014

St. Vincent

For today I thought I'd do another summary of a film I saw at TIFF.  It will also give me a chance to talk about a film that isn't Whiplash, because I feel like I do that a lot.  (but seriously, if you have a chance to go see it, please do.  The soundtrack came out a few weeks ago and it is addictive.)

Today I want to focus on the film St. Vincent and the awesomeness that is Bill Murray.  I only cried a handful of times at the festival but two of those times it was caused by the man pictured below.

ST. VINCENT

I saw a lot of really good films this year and St. Vincent is definitely within my top five.  It opened in select theatres on October 10th but opens everywhere else on October 24th.  I urge you to go see this film.
http://stvincentfilm.com

Those of you who read my blog, know that I'm very much into British comedy/England in general so I'm bummed I didn't get to go to the premiere and see Chris O'Dawd from the IT Crowd.  He's always funny in interviews, but add to that Melissa McCarthy and Bill Murray and I bet the Q&As were hilarious.  I am grateful that I managed to rearrange my schedule and was able to see St. Vincent the next day.


While slightly predictable, St. Vincent is an enjoyable film that, as the Los Angeles Times states, is "Impossible not to love."  Totally agree.  Bill Murray shines as the cantankerous Vincent.  A character who is a stark contrast to the lovely man I saw the previous day (see below for my recount of Bill Murray day)

Melissa McCarthy was also great in this movie but the other stand out performance is from newcomer Jaeden Lieberher, who plays Vincent's neighbour Oliver.   Oliver is polite child, who takes a liking to his grumpy neighbour and helps us all see past Vincent's grumpy exterior.  The movie was funny, heart-warming, and I had tears in my eyes by the end.

Go check out the website for more information and while you're there, take the time to Saint Yourself. Here is mine.  You have the option of adding different filters, borders, and stickers.  I didn't select a border but I chose to be pals with Vincent's beloved cat Felix.


BILL MURRAY DAY

Friday September 5th was pronounced Bill Murray Day in Toronto.  As celebration, three Bill Murray films were screened at the Bell Lightbox.  These screenings were free, first come first served, and included: Stripes, Groundhog Day, and Ghostbusters.  

Fun fact about me: Ghostbusters is one of my favourite movies.  (Remember when Arthur and I went as the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man and Slimer for Halloween?)  I found it a little overwhelming to be watching it on a big screen and paired with the fact that I knew Bill Murray was meandering around backstage....well, let's just say more than a few tear drops fell from my eyes. 
Bill Murray, Ivan Reitman, and Mitch Glazer did a pretty lengthy Q&A session after the Ghostbusters screening but for the first 5-10 minutes all I could hear was my brain yelling, "OH MY GOD, IT'S BILL MURRAY"

See this man right here?  I touched him and it was incredible (in a non-creepy way).  Actually just being in his presence was incredible and for the duration of the Q&A session he felt like me own personal life-coach/therapist.

He was asked a few questions about his personal philosophies and what it was like to be him.  His responses on his outlook on life were inspirational, and actually just what I needed to hear at that moment (issues were happening at work and even though it was my day off, I was having a hard time letting go... well, at least until I heard Mr. Murray's sage advice on being happy).

All around, my 2014 TIFF experience was fantastic and I'll definitely be sharing more with you over the next couple of weeks.  Bill Murray day and St. Vincent were definitely some of my favourite experiences from this years festival.

Alex & Arthur

1 comment:

  1. This is a fantastic inspiring post about This. Me pretty much happy your great wprl. You put actually very helpful details. Keep it up. Retain blogging. Im look to looking at your next publish.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...